We have Marcin Ignac from Variable to talk about Data Art. Marcin and his studio have a very nice mix of data visualization and generative design projects creating stunning visuals for brands such as Nike and IBM.
On the show we talk about the scope and unique features of data art, the process the studio follows, the specific set of tools Marcin developed for visual programming and tips to get started with this kind of projects. See the long list of pointers in the links below!
- Variable studio website
- Variable’s Twitter profile
- Marcin’s Twitter profile
- Technology Garden (IBM) – bringing Wimbledon Championships tennis data to live
- Rat-Systems – visualizing a colony of naked mole rats
- Fibers – visualization of the Nike Fuel band fitness data
- Nine Point Five (earthquake visualization)
- Getting started with data art and generative design:
- http://www.generative-gestaltung.de/2/ (v2 for p5js)
- https://frontendmasters.com/courses/canvas-webgl/ by Matt Des Lauriers
- Daniel Shiffman https://natureofcode.com/book/ and https://thecodingtrain.com
- https://www.dataisnature.com blog
- Computational – Drawing Book – http://lostritto.com/book