This week, we have Elijah Meeks on the show to talk about the state of data visualization jobs in the industry.
Elijah sparked a recent debate with the following Twitter message: “Most people in #Datavisualization end up transitioning into data sci/eng or UI because there’s something wrong with the state of dataviz.” His tweet struck an interesting chord, so we thought we would bring him on the show to hear more.
In the episode, we talk about what is going on in the data visualization field and whether there really is a problem for data visualization professionals in the industry. We also talk about the great survey Elijah run on the state of the vis industry, which attracted around 1000 responses (!).
Enjoy the show!
Data Stories is brought to you by the upcoming 2017 Eyeo Festival. Eyeo brings together people drawn to the intersection of data, art, storytelling and creative technology. Tickets are on sale now, and almost gone. Get yours at eyeofestival.com. Converge to inspire.
- Elijah’s original tweet
- Elijah’s follow-up article “If Data Visualization is So Hot, Why Are People Leaving?”
- Collection of responses: “Visualizing, The Field: Finding Our Way”
- Moritz’s response: “There be dragons: dataviz in the industry”
- Irene Ros’ Response: “In Defense of Simplicity, A Data Visualization Journey”
- 2017 Data Visualization Survey Results
[Help us fund Data Stories by donating on Patreon! We’re counting on you to switch to a crowdfunding model. Please visit our Patreon page for more details!]