Hi Folks, in this episode we discuss the goods and bads of animated visualization:
03:26 – Introducing Data Stories
06:05 – Data Animation Kitsch
14:40 – Using Animation Interactively
17:54 – Scientific Research on Animation
27:17 – Eye-candy and the 2D vs. 3D Debate
29:37 – Engagement and “Data Entertainment”
31:19 – Contests and Marathons
41:07 – Conclusion
Here are some useful links to follow the discussion.
- GE Installations (turbines and imaging scans)
- Deluge (Norwegians moving house)
- The Classic Koblin’s Flight Patterns
- The Classic Yau’s Growth of Walmart
- KIVA Micro-Loans
Research papers on animation.
- Animation: can it facilitate? Tversky et al. Int. J. Human-Computer Studies (2002) 57, 247–262.
- Effectiveness of animation in trend visualization. G. Robertson et al. IEEE Transactions on Visualization and Computer Graphics (2008) 14(6) 1325 – 1332.
- A Comparison of Animated Maps with Static Small-Multiple Maps for Visually Identifying Space-Time Clusters. A. L. Grifﬁn et al. Annals of the Association of American Geographers, 96(4), 2006, pp. 740–753.
What do you think of animation in visualization? Is it effective? Can you resist the allure?